Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Please remove your foot

His foot is lodged in my ribs. This has become his new favorite place. I guess it gives him a little extra room to stretch out since he refuses to move out instead of up. But it hurts!
I have to sit perfectly straight or stand. Otherwise, I have a butt or a foot stabbing my ribs.


Richard's grandpa has a brain tumor. This past week, we've spent many hours at the hospital with this family with many more hours to accrue later this week. I've actually enjoyed my time there. His aunts and uncle are in from various parts of the country (and they are my favorites of Richard's relatives!). And I've met lots of extended family. I really enjoy family history, so it's been fun to listen to all the stories. Especially the ones of Richard. =)
Richard's grandpa (his namesake) has a tumor the size of a fist pushing against his brain. It was causing mini seizures which disrupted his speech and memory.
Richard went to see him last Friday morning. He asked to his his great grandson, not realizing he hasn't been born yet. It took awhile for him to comprehend that the baby will be here in 3 weeks. Then he started asking for me. I went with Richard's brother, Josh, to the hospital Friday after work. Richard's grandpa was so excited to see me and my belly. Luckily, Baby FermaNels cooperated (which he rarely does), and Richard's grandpa got to feel him kick.
Over the course of the weekend, Richard's grandpa proudly introduced my belly to all his visitors. He is obviously excited to become a great grandpa (Baby FermaNels will be the first great grandchild).
By Sunday, the anti-seizure medicine had done its job. Richard's grandpa was able to speak clearly and walk around. He had his first surgery yesterday to cut off the blood supply to the tumor. It was a success. Tomorrow, they will remove the tumor. It is looking like the tumor is non cancerous. As tumors go, he has won the lottery.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I just rediscovered this story and had to share. Todd was a friend of mine in Winona. His version of the ordeal was much better, but it's still a good read. Hope this doesn't happen to you - :)

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2004/12/29/mattjames/00james29.txt

Molly said...

You just wait until those feet have socks: DIRTY socks.

Thinking of Richard's grandpa. He's lucky this was just a close call. Hope the last surgery goes well.

xo

PS: Don't worry, I won't let the baby be born in a gas station parking lot.