Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sure, he looks innocent



On Sunday, Logger and I were suppose to visit Michelle and Kristin. Michelle had a whole day planned. And Logger was suppose to play with his buddy Moose.
Logger and I left the house with my bike on the back of my car. We stopped at the gas station. When I fill up the car with gas, I always leave my car keys in the ignition and make sure all the doors are unlocked.
After filling up, I tried to open the car door. It was locked. And Logger, my keys, my cell phone, and my purse were all trapped inside. Panic set in. Logger is going to die from heat stroke. I'm a terrible dog mother.
I ran into the Gas Station, anxiety and worry boiling over me. I managed to blurt out my dire situation and the attendant let me use the store phone, as long as it wasn't long distance. I quickly dialed Richard's number, one of the very few I know by heart. Richard had left for work about 20 minutes earlier. Luckily, he had only gotten as far as Elk River. I begged him to come quick.
Of course, Logger ran to the driver side door expecting me to open it. I felt horrible. He jumped from window to window as car after car pulled into the gas station. All I could do was stare at him.
Richard arrived 15 minutes later, it may not have even been that long. He couldn't unlock the door fast enough. He was trying to show me how to break into my car (in case I couldn't get a hold of him next time), but I just wanted to hold Logger. I started sobbing the moment I had Logger in my arms. Of course Logger was fine. He didn't realize anything was wrong.
I was so angry with myself (it was only a few months ago that Elvis got locked in the dryer - not turned on).
I canceled my plans with Michelle. I wanted to spend some quality time with Logger. I wanted to make up for my irresponsible behavior.

Later that night, Richard called me. "Did you ever think Logger jumped on the lock button and locked himself in?" Damn dog.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Good lord, girl, what are you going to do when you have children? Are we ever going to see you? :)

I get it though. When Penelope got sick, it was like the world stopped. We love so much; it can get so risky.

michelle said...

i think you should rename your blog - 'blog the log' - you just write about the log. :)

glad he was okay though...

we need to reschedule